Sunday, March 8, 2009

Happy International Women's Day!

Sorry I haven't updated much lately, I'm sure you all have been waiting impatiently on the edge of your seats wanting to hear what has been going on.
Some random things that I've noticed in Mexico:
The way they mix cement: so there is a new neighborhood being built right outside our window, (which isn't too much fun on the weekends when we're trying to sleep) and the way they mix cement looks so laborous. They clear a bit of land with a shovel, sift something stones maybe?, pour the bag and water, mix it with a shovel, shovel it into a bucket, lift it on their shoulder and take it upstairs to wherever it needs to go. Then come back down for more, or do it all again.
Bathrooms: Toilets are normal here, the only difference is a lot of times there are no toilet seats. Or toilet paper. Or soap. Or water. Sometimes a lack of more than one of these things. and for example in the bus station, it's three pesos to enter, and you have to get your toilet paper before you go in the stall (which I didn't know the first time). Another fun story, our toilet in our room got clogged about three times this week and the first time, I went down to ask the guards if they had a plunger (had to do some research on technical terms of the bathroom) and one of them walked with me to the stairs of my dorm where there was a plunger right outside, in plain view, three feet from the door. A little embarassing.
I'm not sure if I mentioned this already or not, but fried and roasted crickets are sold in every market here. I have yet to see anyone eat some, or buy some, or tell me they like them (common response is "ugh, those are disgusting").
Last weekend we played the middle school game of pizza and a movie at the mall. We went to see Slumdog Millionare ("Quisiera Ser Millonario"). This weekend Dario and I went to a huge market near the bus station and I bought 100 peso shoes (around $7), then up to this church that you can see from anywhere in Puebla because it's on a huge hill and has a white dome, that I have wanted to see for a long time. Then we walked all the way down to a shopping center complete with your Applebees and Starbucks, and went to see He's Just Not That Into You ("A El No Le Gusta Tanto"). We basically made it a whole day affair, and continued with attempting to go to an Irish pub on Avenida Juarez (a street in the really nice part of Puebla called La Paz), but as always, it was full, so we went upstairs to another bar/restaurant where we watched a show similar to Planet Earth and it was decorated like the 70s but modern.
On Saturday, Kayla and I went to the post office and finally got to go into the huge cathedral that Puebla is so famous for right in the Zocalo. There were three organs with the biggest pipes I have ever seen on an organ. Kayla was like "I could fit in one of those!". We tried to find this coffee shop that we went to one time that we really liked, (my chai frap tasted like Christmas), but had no luck because we couldn't remember the name of it or where exactly it was, but we knew we were really close. Saturday night I went out to Cholula with Dario and five of his friends. We were going to go to this restaurant that specializes in food from Chiapas that is apparently really good becuase it was so crowded. We waited for about 30 min. and nobody left, probably because there was a game on between Chiapas and Guadalajara on, so we decided to go somewhere else. It was pretty crowded too, but we sat outside and just kind of forgot about the game. They kept bringing us all kinds of snacks, soup, fish (which I did not partake in), cheese, chips, fried cheese rolls, something that I don't even know but was good, sausage, and maybe something else too. It was fun, but kind of hard because I understood about 30% of what the said and the rest I just inferred from mannerisms, tones of voice, and other means.
This morning a few of us went out for brunch to this restaurant that specialzes in juice. A large juice was a liter. (I was the only one that got a small), and everyone was treating it as a marathon "you're almost there Chris, don't let us down" "you can do it" "keep going", and so forth. The rest of today consisted of homework and arguing about daylight savings, which doesn't start here until April 5. Chiapas in four days!

No comments:

Post a Comment