Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Another AMAZING day here in Puebla! There is really so much to talk about and to explain I feel like if I don't post every day I'll miss out on recording everything that's happened.
We all met outside the USAC office to meet our Spanish professors and then we divided up to our seperate levels and followed them to our classroom. The classrooms are pretty small but there are only 6 people in my class so it's just fine. The professor is really really nice and willing to help in any way. His name is NoƩ Blancas Blancas. Then I had a break so Liz and I went to the cafeteria to eat lunch where some girls that are here for the year met up with us and after about two hours we had a group of about 10 USAC students. After that, I had my Multicultural Lives class with the American professor from Idaho. (about 10-12 students). After that we were all hungry so we went back to the dorm to drop off our bags and finally got our keys. From there we hopped on the bus that picked us up right in front of the gate to the dorms and went downtown to the Zocalo. We basically just stopped at the first restaurant we saw which was a really good choice! I had chalupas which were amaaazing. We walked around downtown for quite a while with two of the girls that were here last semester so they knew where they were going and what they were doing. We went through this huge plaza filled with tons of shoe stores, wedding dresses, clothes, food, candy, anything you can possibly imagine, but it was where all the rich people shopped you could tell by the clothes they were wearing and how nice the stores and streets were. Then we went inside another huge plaza of stores which, I can't even describe. Marble everywhere, a glass-ish(?) ceiling about three stories tall, really nice, clean, fancy things. After parousing cell phone stores we headed back to the Zocalo and caught a taxi back to the dorm. There were ten of us in two taxis one with 4 and the other with 6. It was really funny to see them pour out of the taxi.

So far, the most different thing about living in Mexico is you can’t flush the toilet paper, which isn’t really a problem because they change the trash every day. So if that’s the worst thing…I think I can handle this. The internet is spotty, so skyping might be kind of difficult. I’m not sure I haven’t tried it yet but Kayla was on it last night and it was breaking up and whatnot. We’ll see. Everyone here is so nice, I haven’t been harassed for money or whistled at or any of the other stereotypes Americans have/worry about. There are water coolers everywhere on campus, including in the common room with purified water. Oh, and there is free laundry upstairs.

My class schedule is:
Monday: Spanish 9:00-11:15
Tuesday:Spanish 9:00-11:15, Sociology, gender and Indigenous Belief in Mexican Cultures 2:00-5:00
Wednesday: Spanish 9:00-11:15, Multicultural Lives in Contemporary Mexican Society 2:30-5:15, Dances of Latin America 6:00-8:00
Thursday: Spanish 9:00-11:15
Friday: NO FRIDAY CLASSES!!!!!!!
Which means plenty of time to travel!

This Friday we’re going to a techno club in Cholula which is the next town over and as close as downtown is (about 20-30 min.) so I’m pretty stoaked about that. And next Thursday we’re going Salsa dancing with Kelly who is apparently an amazing salsa dancer and actually knows what she’s doing unlike the rest of us!

As always, I’m exhausted! But it’s the good kind, like when you’ve been at Disney World all day kind of exhausted. The other students come Sunday and start their classes Monday so things should not be as quiet as they are now (you could probably hear a pin drop down the hallway even with the door closed). But I’m going to bed now on my rock hard bed. We’re going to the store tomorrow to buy mattress pads and about a million other things that we need. (Like food! And soap! And toilet paper!)
Buenaaaaasssss

p.s.-I'll put pictures up here as soon as I get some with actual people in them, and of my dorm and campus and around town and whatnot!

No comments:

Post a Comment