Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pesossss

Today was a lot of fun, like always. I went to my one and only class this morning, then ate at the cafeteria (awesome chilaquiles) and walked around campus and took pictures. Then Kayla, Josh and I ventured to the wal-mart across the street (I know I know, so American of me, but hey, it’s our first week and we don’t know where the good places are to shop yet) , but we took the long way…without knowing it. But it was the nicest wal-mart I’ve ever been in in my entire life. Then we took a cab back to the dorms, unpacked and I went downtown with a couple other people. There were six of us and we just walked around looking for a place to eat that looked good, and not too expensive. We made a really good choice (I don’t think there are any bad choices here). Then we walked around looking for something to do and found a pool hall and played pool for an hour or so (with Chris who is exceptionally good at it and made the rest of us look like we’ve never seen a pool table in our lives), then caught the bus right outside back to the gate of the dorm.
Everyone here is so nice and smells good. Most people seem to have a lot of money though…and the students apparently start arriving tomorrow. We’ll see how that goes, I heard that here, it’s like in elementary school where if you don’t have name brand clothes you’re talked down to and considered a “loser”, and here, if you don’t dress up for class it’s kind of the same attitude. There is definitely a huge class separation here. The uber-rich, and the lower middle class/lower class. And all of the really rich kids attend Ibero. I still can’t believe how different everything is and how much better everything is here than in the states. I am really dreading going back, without good public transportation, without being able to walk anywhere, without a huge city that feels smaller than it really is, without a small campus that is completely efficient and open and “Alice-in-Wonderland-at-the-queen’s-castle” feel, and super helpful set of faculty, random strangers smiling and saying “hola” as you walk by, being able to just hop into any restaurant and know you’ll be able to make like a bandit, the casual attitude of everyone, being able to actually enjoy a beer with dinner without feeling like you’re committing the biggest crime in the world, knowing you can ask anyone for help and they will help you no questions asked, I pretty much am getting extremely spoiled…and loving it! Okay well, like always I think I’ve walked to the moon and back already today, so again I’m really tired! But the good news is, I can sleep in as long as I want tomorrow, because I DON’T HAVE ANY CLASSES!!
Buenas noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment