Monday, April 20, 2009

Random Observations

Okay, so I've decided to add a random post about some random things that I've noticed. Maybe I've mentioned some of these before. The longer I'm around these things, the more normal they seem, but I guess if one of you were to come visit me, you might find some things suprising. Here we go:

+A shocking number of females wear dangerously high heels. I'm talking five, six inches. We've taken to calling them stripper shoes. But EVERYONE wears them!
+There are random manholes on the sidewalk, about three feet deep, sometimes they're covered with scraps of wood, other times not.
+There are certain hand gestures that I'm going to miss. For example, when you need the bill (you have to ask for it, or you will be there all day) you raise your hand and make it look like you're writing something. Easy. Everyone understands. Another thing is when you agree with something, you touch your thumb to your middle finger and move your index finger up and down. If you're at a restaurant and need something, hold your hand up and make it look like you're pinching something very small between your fingers.
+There are armed guards in random places, like the mall and the bus station. We're talking big guns.
+To wave down a taxi, just whistle, or stick your hand out and usually a few stop and you can barter for the best deal.
+There is an entire aisle at the grocery store for drinkable yogurt. It's really popular here, and convenient. I have one every morning for breakfast.
+Mexican constuction workers in the states are the fastest workers EVER. Here, not so much. Mainly because they lack the equipment needed to make it easier. Like a jack hammer. Instead, they just use a hammer and an iron rod and "tink tink" away. Or building cement walls? It's a wooden construction filled with cement mixed and poured all by hand.
+I feel like "the cheesier, the better" goes here. TV shows, stars, bands, comments, advertising, etc.
+The pronunciations of English words are sometimes really funny. Like "Warner Channel" or "Peach and Petals" sounds like "pinche petals" which is a curse word. Also the word "super" when placed in front of any adjective sounds funny too. It's easy entertainment, and I'm sure Americans sound funny when pronouncing words like "taco" or "quesadilla" or whatever other word we pronounce completely wrong.
+If a woman sits in the front seat of a taxi, it implies hitting on the driver.
+Clothing styles are WAYY different here. It's really hard to go shopping and find something, anything I like.
+The soda here is way different too. It's extremely carbonated, light on the syrup, and almost kind of chalky. Thank goodness I don't drink much soda anyway!
+The sun yesterday was the craziest I have ever seen it. It was florescent orangish/red. We watched it set behind the mountain. We were all in a trance with our mouths open and wide-eyed.
+The class differences here are extreme. And there seems to be a lot of animosity between the two.
+Campus is really detached and uninvolved. I never see signs for plays, or political demonstrations, or fundraisers, or organizations, or games, or anything. There are only about 200 people living on campus, so everyone commutes which I guess gives a small reason as to why there isn't a lot going on.
+Street lanes, stop signs, stop lights, and speed limits are completely erroneous here. They are merely suggestions.

It sounds like a lot of negative things, but it's really not. Just differences. I wouldn't change anything at all. I only have a month left here! Time has gone way too fast!!!
p.s.-I have a crazy boyfriend.

No comments:

Post a Comment